Growthink Capital Research tracked $8.8 billion in new venture funding in January 2021, up from $5.1 billion in December.
The month’s biggest funding event belonged to very much “in the news” discount brokerage firm Robinhood, which on Thursday announced it was raising “more than $1 billion” to fund its torrid growth.
Other $100 million+ funding events in January included the following:
- Sila Nanotechnologies ($590 million) a manufacturer of supercharged car batteries.
- Roblox ($520 million) a reality engine designed to distribute computational work across connected clients and servers, algorithmically assigning, and managing simulation zones.
- MX ($300 million) a digital transformation platform built for banks, credit unions, partners and financial technology innovators.
- Quantum Metric ($200 million) a cross-device digital intelligence platform designed to identify high-value revenue opportunities.
- Valo Health ($190 million) a health tech platform intended to facilitate drug discovery and development process.
- Lyra Health ($187 million) a digital health platform designed to transform mental health care through technology with the human touch.
- OwnBackup ($168 million) a solutions provider that protects data loss and corruption caused by human error, malicious intent, integration error and rogue applications.
- Divvy ($165 million) a financial technology platform that modernizes payment processes and expense management.
- Cockroach Labs ($160 million) an open-source database platform designed to build global, scalable cloud services that can survive disasters
- Tanium ($150 million) a unified endpoint management and security platform designed to simplify endpoint security and configuration compliance.
- Bloomreach ($150 million) a cloud-based software designed to assist companies to increase their web traffic from organic or natural search results.
- IsoPlexis ($135 million) a single-cell detection system designed to accelerate insights in the field of cancer.
- Dremio ($135 million) a data lake engine designed to create a new approach to data analytics that prioritizes user experience, simplicity, and scalability.
- K Health ($132 million) a digital primary care service intended to connect the world’s health data to give people remote treatment whenever they need it.
- Resident Home ($130 million) a manufacturer of household products in the home goods space.
- Sidecar Health ($125 million) a personalized health insurance platform that makes health care transparent and insurance personalized and affordable.
- Volta ($125 million) an operator of electric vehicle charging stations.
- Harness ($115 million) a delivery-as-a-service platform created to simplify the software delivery process.
- Workato ($110 million) an enterprise automation platform designed for powerful integrations and automation for ease-of-use.
- SimpleNexus ($108 million) a productivity software for mortgage loan originators.
- Senti Bio ($105 million) a developer of novel therapeutics to deliver more precise treatments.
- Fast ($102 million) an online login and checkout solutions that provides users with a secure shopping experience.
- TScan Therapeutics ($100 million) a biotechnology company developing immunotherapy treatments for cancer.
- Aledade ($100 million) an accountable care organization offering policies and discussions regarding Medicare shared savings plans.
- Paige ($100 million) a computational pathology module platform for rapid diagnostic stratification and cancer detection.
- Ironclad ($100 million) a digital contracting platform trying to transform contract processes for legal, sales, and operations teams by automating workflows and approvals.
- Delfi Diagnostics ($100 million) a developer of a blood test system for early detection of cancer.
- Landing ($100 million) an online marketplace that offers access to a global network of fully finished apartments.
- Saleloft ($100 million) a developer of a cloud-based sales intelligence software designed to gather relevant news and data.
- Starburst ($100 million) an analytics platform designed to unlock the value of data by making it fast and easy to access anywhere.
The hottest sectors for funding during the month were BioTech, A.I./Machine Learning, HealthTech, CleanTech, FinTech, Business/Productivity Software, FoodTech.
Key funding events in each these sectors for the month are below:
- BioTech deals included Aro Biotherapeutics ($88 million), Terns Pharmaceuticals ($87 million), Vera Therapeutics ($80 million), DiCE Molecules ($80 million), CARISMA Therapeutics ($47 million), Elucida Oncology ($44 million), NuProbe ($42 million), Plexium ($35 million), MANA Therapeutics ($35 million), Sensei Biotherapeutics ($30 million), AIVITA Biomedical ($25 million) and Parse Biosciences ($7 million).
- A.I./Machine Learning deals included Harness ($115 million), Workato ($110 million), Delfi Diagnostics ($100 million), Glia ($78 million), SetSail ($26 million), Quanifind ($22 million), Mosaic ($18 million), Tradeswell ($15.5 million), Lumiata ($14 million), Pinecone Systems ($10 million), Verusen ($8 million) and AMP Robotics ($55 million).
- HealthTech deals included K Health ($132 million), Aledade ($100 million), Impulse Dynamics ($60 million), Carrum Health ($40 million), AltPep ($23 million), Conversa Health ($20 million), RxRevu ($7 million), Hurdle ($6 million), and XP Health ($5 million).
- CleanTech deals included Sila Nanotechnologies ($590 million), Volta ($125 million), Boston Metal ($50 million), Span ($20 million), Tigo Energy ($20 million), Motiv Power Systems ($20 million) and Micatu ($10 million).
- FinTech deals included Robinhood ($1 billion), MX ($300 million), Divvy ($165 million), Oxygen ($17 million), Brace ($15.7 million), RecVue ($13 million) and X1 ($12 million).
- Business/Productivity Software deals included Quantum Metric ($200 million), Splashtop ($50 million), Jellyfish ($31.5 million), Mediafly ($25 million) and PlayVox ($25 million).
- FoodTech deals included BlueNalu ($60 million), New Wave Foods ($18 million), CookUnity ($15.5 million), Outstanding Foods ($10 million) and Thistle ($10 million).
If you’re looking for outside funding to grow your company, please don’t hesitate to call us at (213) 927-3968 or fill out our contact form here.